The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters

The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters is a Korean survival horror-adventure. Venture from your deserted school to survive the horrors of the night. Explore the surrounding Sehwa district and uncover the shadow realm’s dark secrets. Use everything at your disposal to avoid a demoness hellbent on killing you!

Supported Platforms
Project Information
  • Developer

    Devespresso Games

  • Publisher

    HeadUp Games, WhisperGames

  • Genres

    Adventure, Horror, Indie

  • Game release

    28.01.2020

  • Translation release

    28.01.2020

  • Word Amount

    42500

  • Services provided

    Localization, Source proofreading, Quality assurance, Font drawing, Forum moderation

  • Localized languages

    French, German, Portuguese Brazilian, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian

  • Status

    Official

Featured screenshots​
UNLOCTEAM INPUT

It’s a first project, where we worked from the early development phase through Early Access up to game release and more. It is a challenge, but results and feedbacks we have proof that we worked in the right way.

Localization, Proofreading, Consistency

The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters is a second chapter in The Coma series from Devespresso Games. When we started translation of this project, we haven’t worked on previous part. And that meant that we should be careful with terminology. Players got used to The Coma world, so any change could cause a conflict.

But, when we closely studied previous translations, we noticed that there were some inaccuracies in translation. Both games originally are Korean, but script is written in English initially. That is why names for other languages were translated from English. It’s wrong because Korean names should be localized from Korean language, and many countries, for example Ukraine, have their rules of transcriptions from other languages.

Here are several examples from this game:

  • Name and surname order: 박미나 → Mina Park → Park Mina).
  • Hyphen usage: 이다현 → Da-hyun → Dahyun).

The other interesting thing is that Coma world shares similar terminology and some concepts of another Devespresso game — Vambrace: Cold Soul. That is why it was significant to connect both games terms.

When we started working on the project and played early versions, we noticed that sometimes word flow is not as natural as it should be, also there were several typos, grammar style issues. We gladly helped to fix these things up. Moreover, these fixes often resulted in full text rewriting to fit other places. Now all puzzle pieces fit, and we have clear picture of The Coma world.

The Coma is interesting in terms of localization. Main characters are students of high school Sehwa. And their manner of speech is different — from intelligent students to typical school bully. That is why it was crucial to use teen slang. Our translators worked hard to create proper wording, so we saved character’s individuality.

Also, game has built-in comic-style cutscenes. Comic is another type of art/literature, and its text structure has own rules, especially in onomatopoeia — the process of creating a word that phonetically imitates, resembles, or suggests the sound that it describes. That is why we used each language standards in writing these cutscenes.

Early Access text and approach we’ve chosen was a small challenge for our team. Text was rewritten a hundred times or even more. And we constantly delivered localization in short time. It is possible with proper process handling and useful tools as our CAT-tool. Of course, it’s better to have finalized text version before localization starts, but we prove everything is possible.

Quality Assurance

As we started working on the game even before Early Access, we had access to test builds. As Devespresso Games is not big team, and their thoughts and hands were completely busy with writing codes, they could miss something.

Our QA specialists had keeping hand on a pulse and stayed on guard. It helped devs to remove, fix, rewrite, hide, draw… do many things to remove bugs we found.

In result, even during Early Access the number of bugs, that was reported by community, was minimal.

We believe we helped developers to focus on game development and not bug hunting.

Fonts

As usual, game required additional work on fonts. Extended Latin, Cyrillic — just look at these examples. Each additional character works perfectly and matches the style of the game.

Afterwords

We are glad to work with Devespresso Games team again. Through all the way of Early Access up to final release we watched how they implement changes according to players’ feedbacks. And we learned that localization process can be done at any stage of development — you just need to be agile and flexible.

If you want to learn more about us or get a quote, please fill this short form, and we will contact you ASAP.